These savoury muffins are a real favourite in my house. Buttermilk and Bicarbonate of Soda make them rise so no need to spend hours kneading and proving the dough. Just mix and bake.
Serve them warm at a BBQ or on the side of a bowl of chilli, either way make plenty, they are awesome!
- 0.5 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 240 ml Buttermilk
- 128 g Cornmeal
- 128 g Plain Flour
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 115 g Butter
- 85 g Granulated Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C Fan.
- Spray a twelve hole, non-stick, muffin tin with spray butter and place in the oven to warm. Preheating the dish will help your muffins rise and give the edges a beautiful flavour.
- Now, add your baking soda to the buttermilk and set to one side
- Then, weigh out the cornmeal, flour and salt, and set aside.
- Measure your sugar and then warm the butter in a large saucepan until it is melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar. Mix well.
- Now add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir well.
- Finally, add the cornmeal, flour and salt mixture and mix until there is no trace of flour. Don’t worry if it looks a little bit lumpy.
- Get the muffin tin out of the oven and carefully divide the mixture between the holes.
- Put it straight back into the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are lovely and golden.
- Leave to cool in the pan for five minutes before turning out. Serve them while still warm.